According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are more than 1,700 fatalities and 840,000 injuries annually due to vehicular crashes on public highways. Did you know that sending or receiving a message on your cell phone takes a driver’s attention from the road for an average 4.6 seconds the equivalent of driving the length of a football field at 55 mph. Safe driving is important.
Here are a few tips to refresh safe driving habits:
1. Stay Focused: use defensive driving techniques and watch what others around you are doing. Always expect the unexpected. Don’t use a cell phone or any other electronic device while driving.
2. Practice safe driving tips: build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks and phone calls or other business.
3. Prioritize car safety: secure cargo that may move around while the vehicle is in motion. Don’t attempt to retrieve items that fall to the floor.
4. Make time for driving safety: practice defensive driving and give yourself time to react. Keep a 2 second cushion between you and the car in front of you. 4 seconds if the weather is bad.
5. Slow down: don’t speed, it gives your less time to react and increases the severity of the accident.
6. Think safety: always wear a seat belt, drive sober and drug-free.