Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, invisible gas that results when certain fuels do not burn completely. And it can be deadly. That is why it’s important to know how to prevent it, detect it and protect yourself and your family from its effects.
In the home, flames and heaters, as well as vehicles or generators that are running in an attached garage most commonly form carbon monoxide. As temperatures drop and more people are turning up the heat and hovering over the stove inside or warming up the car’s engine before hitting the road, it’s especially critical to ensure your family’s safety against this lethal gas.
Since carbon monoxide cannot be detected without a carbon monoxide detection device, it is essential to install and maintain one or more detectors in your home.
We want you and your family to stay protected, so check out the following tips from CAL FIRE San Diego County Fire Authority for safeguarding your household.
In Case of Exposure
We hope that you never have to use the following tips from the Mayo Clinic, but please read on for good information that could help save a life.
If you suspect that you or someone you know has been exposed to carbon monoxide, check for the following symptoms:
If any of these symptoms exist, move the individual into fresh air and seek emergency medical care immediately.
For further questions about your home insurance, contact us at (952) 746-1003 or info [at] atcagency [dot] com.
© 2017 ATC Agency. Licensed in Minnesota and Wisconsin