Jump to navigation

Landscaping Tips

from ATC Agency

by Annie Carlin on May 3, 2019

The landscaping around your home can help with the aesthetics of the home, and also help protect your house.  Hiring a landscaper can be expensive, but it can also save you money down the road. Certain landscaping techniques can help prevent water from getting into your basement.  Those types of water claims are typically not covered on a standard homeowners insurance policy. That can leave you paying for the damage out of pocket if you do have water in the basement.

 Some simple steps to help prevent water in your basement:

  1. Grading your lawn: The ground around your home should slope away from the house. The dirt around older homes can settle, which can encourage water to run into the basement.
  2. Extend downspouts: Make sure the water coming off of your roof is being directed away from the house. You can buy extensions for your downspouts to help with this.
  3. Keep mulch away from siding:  Mulch helps retain water and can cause problems with siding. The increased moisture and decreased ventilation can cause some types of siding to rot.
  4. Native plants: Native plants can help prevent erosion, which will help with storm water properly draining.
  5. Rain garden: Rain gardens are designed to temporarily hold storm water and allow it to be absorbed into the ground. They are landscaped areas where native perennials and flowers are planted.
  6. French drain: If you are having recurring problems with a wet basement. A French drain is an underground drainpipe that diverts water away from your house. 

Bookmark our mobile site visit m.atcagency.com

Information you need, when and where you need it most. More »

Our Insurance Companies

Safeco Insurance

ATC Agency

Click for the BBB Business Review of this Insurance Companies in Edina MN

Our location

3249 Hennepin Ave S, Suite 253
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
Se habla español
Jump to navigation
Mon-Thu 10AM-6PM, Fri 10AM - 5PM, & Sat by appt

© 2022 ATC Agency. Licensed in Minnesota and Wisconsin